Friday, January 22, 2010

Valentine Votive


This little votive is very easy and it uses a previously used glass votive holder. I love the shape of this one and I also like making it in to something useful instead of throwing it out or in the recycling.
I love recycling glass and I think that polymer clay gives me this option every day, by using bought, spent or exhausted items and making something beautiful out of it.
And Oy would this make a lovely gift for your mother!!! LOL!


White, Olive, and Red Cernit

Clay Blade

Needle tool or needle

Used glass votive holder

2 paper towels or an old towel/rag


Clean the glass by putting it in a warm oven, under 200 degrees F.
When the wax melts, save it to a can or pour it out in the trash.
Take a paper towel and clean out the glass while holding it with an old towel.
I find the labels are easier to get off when the glass is hot.
Clean the glass with glass cleaner or white vinegar.





Condition and pinch off little pieces and roll in to balls that are about 1/2" in diameter.
Then cut some in half with your clay blade so you have some smaller hearts.
Make 14 or 15 hearts, small and large. You may not use them all, but you will have them in case you might want to add more than I have.
A little border of hearts around the top rim would be nice too.





Roll the balls in to little teardrops and then flatten the teardrops between your finger and thumb till it is about 1/4" thick or a little thinner. Use the needle to make an indentation in the middle of the wide part of the flattened teardrop.
Set these aside.
You might want to wash your hands before you condition the green. I didn't but you might.




Mix a 1/4 block of olive with a 1/4 block of Opaque white together until it is one color.
Pinch off little balls about 1/2" in diameter.
Cut some of those in half.







Roll the larger balls in to little coils about 2" long and roll the smaller ones in to smaller coil varying the sizes and lengths.
Pinch one end of the coil in to a point.
With the back of the clay blade make a mark in the middle for a vein.







Place some leaves varying the lengths as you place them on the votive.
Where the shorter ones are, you can add a heart as if it is a flower.
Or even maybe two flowers in one section.







I pull the end with the pinch of the long leaf back a little when I put it on.
Make sure that when you put the hearts on that they are attached to the leaves.
When you put the leaves on make sure that they are touching each other.
If you have a straight sided votive that you are using you may want to use some of the Weldbond or Ultimate glue on the back of the leaves to hold them in place after baking.
Since the leaves wrap the bulge of the glass on this votive, they are less likely to come off.
Bake the whole thing in the oven for 1/2 hour at 275 degrees F and let cool in the oven until you can touch it.

34 comments:

  1. That is absolutely DARLING!!!
    Would have never considered doing something like that....wonder if paperclay would stick? Hmmmmmm.....

    XXOO!!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Marie! Hope you're staying warm and dry down there! We have snow on our mountains this morning! Have a great day and a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie - thank you so very, very much for sharing that wonderful tutorial with us! What a simply beautiful project! =)

    Your work rocks!

    Thanks again Marie!

    ♥Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a wonderful Idea!!!
    I always love your tutorials...
    Very sweet glass votive..

    Now I'm looking at "throw-aways" in a whole new light Marie~
    Pattee

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGoodness, Marie!!!! I think that I could actually DO this! I just happen to have 6,342 empty votive jars (I burn a lot of candles). Have to check out your hubby's clay shop now! YIPPEEEEEEE.
    **blows happy kisses** Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that polymar clay works well witrh glass. This is a perfect example of sometimes simplicity IS the best option. A simple style that creates a whole new look that catches the eye nicely. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing, Marie.

    I've left an award on my blog for you, The Sunshine Award for bloggers whose positivity and creativity
    inspires others in the blog world, and you do. Smiles and Hugs, Sue C

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne you just made my day, thank you, thank you, thank you.
    I think that paper clay will stick to just about anything, if not or if you don't want to test it, use the glues I mentioned to attach the paper clay to the glass.
    Oh and keep the paper clay down on the sides and not up around the top edges if you are using it for a votive. I would just cover the bottom part like I have done on this votive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks SusanC.
    We are trying to stay dry, but the rain did come in to the laundry room and yesterday it got worse.
    It doesn't seem to be as bad today and it pours just off and on so we get a break between the deluge.
    I bet your mountains look incredible.
    I haven't been out to look in days.
    Madi and I are getting cabin fever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that you shared your process Marie! It looks great! My favorite part are the hearts..... of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much Lori. I am so glad you like this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow Marie!!! this is so clever!! wonderful work!!! hope you're having a wonderful week!!!

    hugs
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Pattee.
    Making art out of trash intrigues the heck out of me. I have always thought that it is not the medium we use but what we do with it that makes it art.
    For the last few years I have been trying to use what I have on hand instead of buying new and collecting unusual things in the streets or parking lots.
    I am also giving away stuff that I have not been using to other artists I know.
    Satisfies the magpie in me, does nothing for the consumer there also. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know you can do this Deb.
    Just remember when you are covering votives with paper clay or polymer to keep it away from the top of the votive or hanging over the top.
    Then place your new candle in the very center of the votive holder.
    I like to cover mostly the bottoms of the glass pieces.
    Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why thank you, Jonty.
    I myself, need to remember this simple rule a bit more often.
    Thanks so much for commenting and visiting

    ReplyDelete
  16. After looking at this it came into my mind that you have to make Madi and Josephine a little jewellery box or something.

    I had never heard of the blackeye peas on new years day until this post.

    Of course the shoes are an old supersition from my Mother from Scotland.

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much Sue C. Thanks for the award too. That is kind of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh, I missed this one earlier! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Manon, I am glad you like the project and the hearts.

    I love hearts too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Marie! This is such a great idea! I love it. :) And you're right, what a great way to bee-u-tee-fy a plain votive holder. You have the BEST tutorials, Marie. I'm thinking you are a teacher. Are you? xoxo Pam

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you Diana.
    I am having a wonderful week inspite of the wind, rain, and flooding. LOL!!!
    I just stay in the house(the part that is not flooding) cuddle up with Madi the tv and a computer.
    I am getting some comments and reading done. I have gotten so far behind.
    You and Cole have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Renee what a wonderful idea. I made cute litle boxes for my nieces for Christmas that had a little necklace in it. I will have to make one for Josephine and Madi.
    I have a project right now I am diligently working on and I will get to it as soon as I get this under my belt.

    The black eyed pea thing, I think I goggled superstitions. I am amazed by them and ritual. But I have a black cat... I will have to tell you sometime about how lucky he is.

    I want to be scottish! I have a little. I read the "outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon and wanted to be scottish, aye! Oh what a wonderful series of books.
    I love you Renee.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you Jo at Flo. Thanks for coming by.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you Pam!
    I used to do this all the time to make a living.
    I have been teaching since 1983, not in a school though, mostly polymer clay and art.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yeah all I could see is something for a little girl with these colours and oh what two little girls we have.

    My Mom is from the Highlands of Scotland and lived all her life in Aberdeen which is right on the north sea.

    Love Renee xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  26. We do have some special girls and the most darling grand kids on the planet in my humble opinion. LOL!!

    The candle holder reminds me of tulips. I love the soft sagey green the olive makes when it is mixed with white.
    Wouldn't it be grat colors for a little girls room too??

    I bet she has a wonderful accent.
    Renee going to the highlands and the north sea in Scotland is on my bucket list.
    I know I would love it there.
    I love the Scots they are such a strong and salt of the earth people. I love the frankness. I understand your mother and why you are so unique a little bit more now.
    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes those would be great colours in a little girls room.

    Frank, oh God that is my mother.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  28. An admirable quality, I respect that. At least there is no question about where you stand right? lol Or where she stands for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi, Marie!
    You are such a wonderful teacher. This votive with the foliage and hearts is adorable, I love it!
    Thank you so much for your sharing heart.
    xoxoxoxoxoxxo
    Landon

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you Landon and thanks so much for dropping by.
    It is my pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  31. HI Marie - I left an award for you too - I see SueC beat me to it! Oh well, you deserve it anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love it! And never think about doing that. I just toss them! Well, no more. Thank you for such a great idea! You are just full of them! Love ya, Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh Melissa thank you!!
    It doesn't matter who gave it too me first, I cherish it. I will put both of your darling women on the award when I post it.
    I am so grateful, bless you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Some would say I am full of something Lynda!! Har har!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. Please leave your words of wisdom. I look forward to them and I so enjoy reading them all.
Live to love, Love to create, and create to connect.
Marie

www.mariesegal.com
www.clayfactory.net